Precon: Designing and Developing Enterprise-scale Solutions with Power BI
Speaker: Paul Turley
This full-day workshop session will provide participants with essential best practice knowledge and practical tools to begin designing enterprise-ready solutions with Power BI. We will design a report, but this session will primarily focus on enterprise data modeling and dataset delivery for reporting & analytics.
Bring your questions to the webinar for a live Q&A session.
• Overcoming challenges with data at-scale
• Meeting the needs of data governance, business buy-in and ownership
• Addressing challenges with DevOps, code sharing and multi-developer projects
• Futureproofing Power BI solutions for business, data and user audience growth
• Delivering an enterprise Power BI solution using a best practice checklist
• So many features! OMG, let’s focus on the essentials!
Bring your laptop and together, we will design a business-ready solution, including:
• Fundamental data modeling
• Transformation basics & guidelines
• Designing and building performant queries for data at-scale
• Using parameters to manage source changes and environments
• Naming conventions, annotations, and documentation
• DAX essentials & building blocks
• Deployment planning
• Keeping it real – balancing “ideal” DevOps and realistic BI delivery
• Right-sizing data models for flexibility & expanding requirements
We will also discuss and demonstrate some advanced topics, including:
• When and how to consider using composite models
• Calculation groups – the key to flexible calculations
• Windows 10 or 11
• 8 GB of RAM minimum
• Wifi ready
• Permission to install software from Windows Store & USB drive (if a company-issued machine)
• Latest version of Power BI Desktop
Paul (Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter) is a Competency Lead Director for the 3Cloud Solutions BI&A practice, and Microsoft Data Platform MVP. He consults, writes, speaks, teaches & blogs about business intelligence and reporting solutions. He works with companies around the world to model data, visualize and deliver critical information to make informed business decisions, using the Microsoft data platform and business analytics tools. He is a Director of the Oregon Data Community PASS chapter & user group, the author and lead author of Professional SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services and 14 other titles from Wrox & Microsoft Press. Paul is a 2021 & 2022 FastTrack Recognized Solution Architect and holds several certifications related to the Microsoft Data Platform and Business Intelligence.